Code of Conduct
We believe that all people are equally important and deserve respect and space in this industry regardless of gender identity, race, sexual orientation or religion.
The Barista League has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment or discrimination of any sort. We expect all staff, volunteers, participants and guests at our events to adhere to the following:
- Exercise consideration and respect in speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Never engage in harassing, offensive, disrespectful or retaliatory conduct.
- Whenever possible, make clear when a behavior is not wanted and demand that the person stops.
- Whenever possible, intervene in the presence of bad behavior (call out) being mindful of the safety of the victim and observing best practices of bystander intervention.
- Anyone asked to stop any harassing behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and report immediately if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress
- Report if you witness any violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential. Any individual who witnesses harassment or discrimination and does not report it to the appropriate channels or any member of management who neglects to take action against harassment or discrimination, is considered complicit in the behavior.
- Anyone in a position of leadership, who knows or ought reasonably to know that a person has experienced or is experiencing mistreatment such as discrimination, harassment, or abuse, is required to take reasonable steps to prevent the mistreatment.
- Clearly establish, communicate and agree upon measurable criteria for promotions in order to prevent biased decisions and even the appearance of discrimination.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s appearance, lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, relationships, drugs, employment, education, body, apparel and presentation.
- Questioning, challenging, or initiating unwelcome discussion regarding someone’s stated self-identity or chosen labels.
- Deliberate misgendering or deliberate use of “dead” or rejected names.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity, such as gender, sexual orientation, or disability, without their consent.
- Sexual discussion or display of sexually suggestive imagery and materials in the workplace or on computers or mobile devices
- Sexualized images and activities should not be used as promotional material. Booth staff, volunteers (when present), venue staff should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
- Telling jokes or displaying materials that ridicule or offend members of a particular gender, race or ethnic group
- Offensive language including pet names, sexual jokes and crude comments
- Physical contact or simulated physical contact (e.g., gestures or descriptions of physical or sexual contact) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including verbal, physical, or simulated sexual innuendo or behavior.
- Stalking, following, or deliberate intimidation of an individual or group.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others or continued one-on-one communication after requests to stop.
- Angry or aggressive communication, written or verbal.
- Threats of violence toward any individual, or incitement of violence toward any individual, including encouragement of self-harm.
- Incendiary comments related to any individual or group that are non-constructive or intentionally hurtful.
- Creating or encouraging a hostile environment, which may be defined as an atmosphere in which there is behavior, speech, or treatment of individuals that undermines their personal power or dignity, or jeopardizes their aspirations to achieve their personal goals.
- Incitement, endorsement, or protection of harassing or abusive speech or behavior
- Retaliation against any employee who speaks up in good faith, or who participates in good faith in the handling or investigation of a complaint or concern.
Anyone found to be not adhering to this policy will be removed from our events. If you experience or witness any behaviour that makes you or another person uncomfortable please notify us immediately.